Caramel Apple Scones. Directions In a small bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk and vanilla; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
Lightly dust a work surface with flour. These caramel apple scones are buttery and moist with crisp crumbly edges and soft flaky centers. Crunchy coarse sugar and salted caramel are the perfect finishing touches! You can have Caramel Apple Scones using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Caramel Apple Scones
- It’s of all purpose flour + additional for hands and work surface.
- Prepare of baking powder.
- Prepare of ground cinnamon.
- It’s of salt.
- Prepare of unsalted butter, frozen.
- Prepare of heavy cream + additional for brushing.
- It’s of large egg.
- It’s of brown sugar.
- You need of vanilla extract.
- You need of heaping cup peeled and chopped apple.
- Prepare of coarse sugar (optional).
- You need of caramel sauce.
Read through the recipe before beginning. The dry ingredients are fairly predictable: all-purpose and whole-wheat flours (for extra fiber and nutrients!), baking powder, cinnamon (don't skimp!), salt, and brown sugar. I opted for brown sugar instead of granulated because it adds an extra hint of caramel to the dough. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, and then add the brown sugar and milk.
Caramel Apple Scones instructions
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Use a hand grater to grate the frozen butter and toss it into the flour mixture. Combine it with either a pastry cutter, a fork or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set this bowl in the freezer for a few minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking tray with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set it aside..
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, egg, brown sugar and vanilla until well combined. Drizzle over the dry mix and use a rubber spatula to toss it all together until it's all just moistened. Then gently fold in the apples. The dough will be a bit wet and sticky. Flour your hands and a work surface, then use your hands to form the dough into a ball and transfer it to the floured surface. Press it into a disc shape, about 8". Use a very sharp knife to cut it into 8 equal wedges..
- Place the wedges onto the prepared pan and set the pan in the fridge for 15 or so minutes. After that, brush the wedges with additional cream and sprinkle a little coarse sugar over each one. Then bake for 20-25 minutes, until they are golden brown around the edges and lightly browned on the tops. Let them cool for a few minutes, then drizzle them with the caramel sauce..
Stir, then transfer to a bowl. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar, and beat with an electric mixer until it turns creamy. Drizzle the caramel icing onto the warm scones. HOW TO MAKE CARAMEL APPLE SCONES First, you will mix together your flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, and then incorporate your butter. Peel, core, and finely chop the apple.