scones. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in raisins. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Cherry, Chocolate and Pecan Scones with Strawberry Jam. Chilling the scones relaxes the gluten in the flour, which makes the scones more tender and allows them to rise higher. You can have scones using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of scones
- Prepare of self raising flour.
- Prepare of margarine.
- It’s of salt.
- It’s of milk.
- You need of sugar.
- Prepare of egg beaten.
- Prepare of optional.
- You need of dried fruit or glace cherries rolled in flour.
It also chills the fat, which will make the scones a bit flakier. Gingerbread is a flavor that works with all sorts of delicious holiday baked goods. To glaze these ginger scones, just dip a fork or spoon into the glaze mixture and then drizzle over the tops. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia. Brush scones with remaining heavy cream and for extra crunch, sprinkle with coarse sugar. (You can.
- prehest oven to gas mark 8, 450f, 230c.
- put flour, margarine and salt into a bowl and rub together, till they look like bread crumbs. if you are making fruit or cherry scones add them now..
- add beaten egg to milk and mix together..
- add sugar to flour mixture and stir in..
- make a well in the centre and gradually add the egg and milk mix to form a stiff dough. you may not need all the egg and milk mix so save any remaining for glazing the tops before cooking..
- put on a floured surface and pat or roll out to about 1" thick. use a 2 1/2" cutter or one of your choice and cut out the scones. re roll or pat together the cut offs and continue to cut out the scones till all dough is used up. any miss shapes can be cooked and eaten by the chef!.
- place on a greased baking sheet and glaze tops with left over egg and milk mixture or milk. put in the oven for about 10 minuits or untill golden brown..
- cool on a wire rack. cut in half and enjoy with butter, jam and if you want to be really naughty, cream..
Scones are easy to make, easy to eat, and easy to love—that's what makes them such a standout dish. Here, we've gathered our best scone recipes to enjoy with clotted cream and jam for afternoon tea, healthy twists to enjoy at breakfast, and indulgent glazed options you can enjoy as dessert. Berry Vegan Scones can be made with a variety of berries, including dried cherries, dried cranberries, raisins and dried black currants. Raisins are a classic scone ingredient. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder.