Butternut Squash Soup with Pecan Crumble.
You can cook Butternut Squash Soup with Pecan Crumble using 21 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Butternut Squash Soup with Pecan Crumble
- Prepare of Soup:.
- It’s of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare of yellow onion, chopped.
- Prepare of honeycrisp apples.
- Prepare of kosher salt and pepper.
- Prepare of all-purpose flour.
- It’s of low sodium vegetable broth.
- Prepare of cubed butternut squash. Option to cut the bases off of them, and scoop out the seeds and save to use as serving bowls (Refer to Roasted Acorn Squash recipe for roasting directions).
- Prepare of cayenne pepper, more or less to taste.
- You need of whole milk.
- It’s of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, depending on your taste.
- You need of + 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves.
- Prepare of salted butter.
- You need of honey.
- Prepare of Pecan Crumble:.
- It’s of raw pecans, roughly chopped.
- You need of old fashioned oats.
- You need of all-purpose flour.
- It’s of real maple syrup.
- Prepare of cinnamon.
- You need of salted butter, at room temperature.
Butternut Squash Soup with Pecan Crumble step by step
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and 1 chopped apple. Cook until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes, then gradually whisk in the broth until smooth. Add the butternut squash, cayenne, and a large pinch each of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes..
- Remove the soup from the stove. Let cool slightly and then puree in a blender or use an immersion blender..
- Return the soup to the stove and set over low heat. Stir in the milk and cheese until melted and creamy. Add the thyme and cook another 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired..
- To make the honey butter apples. Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 thinly sliced apple and cook until it just begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add the honey and 2 teaspoons thyme. Cook another minute, then remove from the heat..
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and spoon the apples over top. Option to serve in roasted butternut squash bottoms..
- Finish with a sprinkle of pecan crumble. Enjoy!.
- Pecan Crumble:.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F..
- On a rimmed baking sheet, combine the oats, pecans, flour, maple, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Add the butter and use your fingers to crumble it into the mix until everything is moist..
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, until crisp and golden brown and smells amazing. I like to serve this warm, so I make it while the soup simmers..