Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes. Ice the cupcakes with the Caramel Buttercream icing, we used a large star piping nozzle. Pop a slice of caramelised apple, et voilà; Spiced Toffee Apple cupcake! These toffee apple cupcakes are the perfect taste of Autumn.
To make the apple crisps, core an apple and thinly slice. Lay the apple slices on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. These could be baked at the same time as the cupcakes. You can have Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes
- Prepare 200 g of dates, roughly chopped.
- Prepare 250 g of butter, softened, plus extra for greasing.
- Prepare 200 ml of milk, plus a splash.
- Prepare 280 g of self-raising flour.
- Prepare 200 g of light soft brown sugar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of mixed spice.
- Prepare 4 of large eggs.
- You need 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 3 of small red apple.
- Prepare squeeze of lemon juice.
- It’s handful of toffees.
- It’s of little icing sugar, for dusting.
Sift in the flour, baking powder, spices and mix. Stir through the Greek yoghurt, milk and diced apple. Fluffy and moist cupcakes full of apple cinnamon flavor and topped with the perfect toffee frosting. Most cupcakes I've made over the past few years have been pretty typical: vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, coffee, etc.
Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes instructions
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line cupcake tray with cases, I used 15 however it will be dependent on the size you are using. (If making a cake, grease and line a 20 x 30cm baking tray with baking parchment.).
- Put the dates and milk in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and set aside for 15 mins to cool..
- Whizz the date mixture to a smooth purée in a food processor or blender, then scrape into a large mixing bowl. Tip in the butter, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, eggs, mixed spice and vanilla, and set aside while you prepare the apples..
- Quarter and core the apples, then slice quite thinly, tossing in a little lemon juice as you go..
- Quickly beat together the cake ingredients with an electric whisk until smooth, then scrape into the cases (or tray for the cake).
- Arrange the apple slices, for cupcakes, two to three per cupcake. (For the cake: overlap the apple in rows, on top – you should be able to get 3 rows lengthways down the tray.).
- Bake for 20-30 mins until a skewer poked into the centre of one of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the tray. (If baking as one cake it will require at least 50-60mins).
- Put the toffees in a small pan with a good splash of milk and gently melt, stirring, until runny. To finish, dust with a little icing sugar, then drizzle sauce over the cakes..
One the sugar has a caramelised remove from the heat, and dip each apple slice into the caramel, making sure it is completely coated. Pour into a shallow baking tray and place in the oven. Allow to cool, then chill until needed. To make the toffee sauce melt together in a small saucepan the evaporated milk, brown sugar and butter. These Salted Caramel Apple Cupcakes are perfectly spiced apple cakes that are moist and fluffy with bites of apple and topped with caramel swiss meringue buttercream.