Bhapa Doi (Baked Yogurt). Baked Yogurt or Bhapa Doi is a smooth luscious pudding recipe with a crunchy praline and is flavoured with butterscotch sauce. Bhapa Doi or Baked Yogurt is Hung curd or Greek yogurt blended with milk and condensed milk and baked with a water bath in the oven or steamed on the stove top is a must have sweet dish in the Bengali weddings and special occasions like festivals etc. Bhapa Doi can be flavored with saffron, cardamom etc and can be garnished with fresh fruits or chopped nuts.
In Bengali, 'bhapa' means steamed and 'doi' means yogurt/curds. It is a festive dessert that you can make in a hurry (forget the chilling if you want to serve this dessert in a couple of hours). You can always cool the dessert completely and place the ramekins in a baking tray filled with chilled water till you are ready to serve. You can cook Bhapa Doi (Baked Yogurt) using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Bhapa Doi (Baked Yogurt)
- Prepare of hung curd/ greek yogurt.
- You need of condensed milk.
- You need of rosewater.
- It’s of Chopped pistachio.
- It’s of strands of Kesar/Zafran.
- It’s of Soaked raisins.
- You need of Chopped pistachios for garnish.
Meet bhapa doi, a traditional Bengali dessert which is nothing but a sweet yogurt pudding. Bengali cuisine is famous for their delectable desserts, most of which are made with a minimal number of ingredients. Desserts and sweets made with milk and milk products are synonymous with Bengali cuisine. My understanding of Bhapa Doi (steamed yogurt) is that it is traditionally made with evaporated milk and is an unsweetened Bengali dessert flavored with cardomom and/or saffron.
Bhapa Doi (Baked Yogurt) step by step
- Take 1 cup of hung curd/ Greek yoghurt. To it add 1 cup of sweetened condensed milk. Whisk it properly to uniform mixture such that there are no lumps..
- To the mixture add soaked raisins, rose water and chopped pistachios. Pour the mixture in equal proportions in a ramekin/ silicone mold (whatever available). Add the kesar and pistachios to garnish..
- Bake at 175°C or or steam on gas till toothpick comes out clean. (for about 30 minutes). You can also put it just in a ceramic bowl and cover it with aluminium foil for steaming on gas..
- Store in refrigerator. serve chilled..
However I have seen sweetened versions of recipes posted on the internet. This would make a nice presentation baked in individual ramekins. bhapa doi recipe bengali yogurt sweet recipe with detailed photo and video recipe. an elegant and tasty indian dessert cheesecake recipe made with yogurt, condensed milk and kesar strands. the recipe hails from the sweet bengali cuisine but has spread all over the indian states and served as dessert after lunch or dinner. the recipe extremely simple and easy to make. Bhapa Doi or steamed sweet yoghurt is a traditional Bengali dessert, very simple to make and require few basic pantry items; if you love pudding kind of desserts and don't want to use any gelling agent or thickener, you will love this. Bhapa Doi is a Bengali dessert where the curd/ yogurt is creamed and then mixed with condensed milk and sweetener if needed.