Indian Baklava. Crush saffron with a mortar and pestle or on a plate with the handle of a wooden spoon. Let cool, then stir in rose water. Crush saffron with a mortar and pestle or on a plate with the handle of a wooden spoon.
The texture should be soft but firm. Cut the baklava using a sharp knife and press it with your hands, so as not to break up the top sheet of dough. Baklava is a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo, filled with chopped nuts and sweetened and held together with syrup or honey. You can cook Indian Baklava using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Indian Baklava
- It’s of Saffron Syrup.
- You need 3/4 cup of water.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of saffron threads.
- It’s 4 1/2 tsp of rose water.
- Prepare of Baklava.
- You need 1/2 cup of raw walnuts.
- It’s 1/2 cup of raw almonds.
- You need 1 tsp of cardamom.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need 1 pkg. (1 lb.) of frozen filo, thawed.
- It’s 1 cup of ghee.
- It’s 3 tbsp of shelled unsalted pistachios, finely ground.
This baklava is flaky, crisp and tender and I love that it isn't overly sweet. It's basically a party in your mouth. I am a huge fan of baklava and this is the BEST baklava recipe I have ever tried. Baklava is a Middle Eastern specialty.
Indian Baklava instructions
- Crush saffron with a mortar and pestle or on a plate with the handle of a wooden spoon. In a small saucepan, mix sugar, 3/4 cup water, and the saffron. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then stir in rose water..
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a food processor, whirl walnuts, almonds, cardamom, and nutmeg until nuts are coarsely ground..
- Unroll filo with a long side facing you and cut in half into two 9- by 13-in. pieces. Stack pieces and cover with a kitchen towel to keep from drying out..
- Brush bottom and sides of a 9- by 13-in. baking dish with ghee. Peel off 1 sheet filo, lay in pan, and brush with ghee. Layer 12 more sheets on top, brushing each with ghee (it's okay if some sheets are torn or not fitting evenly in pan)..
- Sprinkle half the nut mixture over filo. Lay another sheet of filo on top, gathering it to fit into pan and brushing with ghee. Repeat with 12 more sheets of filo, buttering each. Sprinkle on remaining nut mixture. Layer remaining sheets of filo on top, buttering each as before..
- Cut baklava into 32 squares. Bake until top is golden and crisp and edges pull away from pan sides, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Cool pan on a rack 30 minutes..
- Pour saffron syrup over baklava. Let sit to absorb most of the syrup, at least 3 hours (overnight is better). Sprinkle each square with 1/4 tsp. ground pistachios..
Baklava is made in many shapes I decided to make them in rolls. Instead of honey I used sugar to glaze and flavored with cardamom. Baklava is made using phyllo dough; it is available in frozen section in supermarkets. Our passionately crafted baklava recipe is handmade with the finest ingredients using top quality nuts like pistachios, walnuts and cashews. The clarified buttery taste and lightly sweetened fillo baklava is sensational.