Tofu Tempura Salad. Gently roll the tofu and vegetable skewers in the flour, coating it well and shaking off any excess flour. Dip the skewers into the tempura mix, and let the excess batter drip back into the bowl. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.
This Asian inspired dish layers creamy tofu encased in crispy tempura batter on top of fresh crunchy cucumber that has been smothered in a zingy ginger and sesame oil dressing. My favourite dishes are those that include contrasts in taste and/or texture. This dish certainly has such contrasts. You can have Tofu Tempura Salad using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tofu Tempura Salad
- It’s of Sprouts Bok Choy.
- It’s of Tofu Box Med-Firm.
- You need of Japanese Pumpkin.
- Prepare of Avocado.
- Prepare of Egg (white).
- It’s of Red Onion.
- You need of Spring Mix.
- It’s of Panko Bread Crumbs.
- It’s of Unbleached All-purpose Flour.
- It’s of Corn starch.
- You need of Rice Vinegar.
- You need of Carrots.
- You need of Radish.
- It’s of Persian Cucumbers.
Then place some cut tofu on top. Dress with the vinaigrette and add the tempura. Dip the tofu into the tempura batter and carefully lower into the hot oil. Remove with a slotted spoon to the paper towel lined plate.
Tofu Tempura Salad instructions
- CAUTION: See my other recipes for vegetable shredding tools. Peel and shred carrot/radish, slice cucumbers long ways and set aside in a bowl with rice vinegar..
- Peel the outer bok choy leaflets and drop them in the bottom level of the steamer, and top it off with the inner cores. Steam lightly. Form a bed of greens, and top off with pickled vegetables..
- 1 bowl with egg and at least 1/3 the amount of oil, while the other flour, a fraction of cornstarch, panko and any additional spice seasoning to blend. Cut tofu block sideways into slabs, and then crossways to make even fun size for breading/frying. First egg coating, then raise up until any remaining drip is free, then evenly powder puff and let sizzle in fryer for a couple minutes..
- Turn up heat to medium and cycle through tofu. Flip ‘em over and let dry on a plate..
- Slice pumpkin into slices and prepare any additional flour/cornstarch to whisk remaining egg and flour into tempura batter..
- Turn to low heat, and drain remaining egg mixture, plus an additional egg into 1 bowl with flour mixture. Account for any remaining flour mixture and whisk together, produce balanced consistency light batter for tempura frying..
- Dip pumpkin slices and avocado into batter and let simmer for a minute in fryer. Set aside on plate. Top greens with tempura and Sesame Leaf Salad Dressing (Sesame Soup Base あおじそ) or ゆずだれ Seasonal Yuzu Flavor with grated radish..
You can also use firm tofu. Firm tofu is easier to handle; however, if you don't like tofu, it is better to use soft tofu because of its texture. You will need to handle soft tofu gently since it is easier to break apart. Combine flours, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add club soda, stirring until smooth.