Sambar rice. Sambar rice is a dish made with lentils, rice, mixed vegetables, spices & herbs. It is a delicious, flavorful & protein packed dish that is also healthy & nutrient dense. Sambar rice is best served with papad & some buttermilk or lassi.
Sambar rice or sambar sadam is an easy to prepare delicious one-pot meal. Making sambar rice is similar to making Bisi bele bath. only the taste is different. Sometimes I make the entire sambar sadam recipe in a pressure cooker. You can have Sambar rice using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sambar rice
- It’s 1 cup of pigeon pea dal.
- It’s 2 cups of rice.
- It’s 1 of small cup onion,brinjal, pumpkin, tomato, potato,each.
- You need 2 of tbspoon sambar masala.
- It’s 1 of tspoon red chilly powder.
- You need 1 of tspoon turmeric powder.
- It’s 1 of tspoon salt.
- You need 2 of tspoon tamarind pulp.
- It’s leaves of Curry.
- You need 3 of tbspoons oil.
- Prepare of Cumin and Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tspoon.
- Prepare 2 of tbspoon clarified butter.
Whereas at times I cook the veggies separately. Making Sambar Rice Recipe: Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once they pop add cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Sambar rice recipe, comparatively is lighter and simpler than Bisibele bath, and a recipe that has intense flavors of freshly ground masala paste that makes it stand out and no wonder this recipe is so popular in South India.
Sambar rice instructions
- Cook rice and pigeon pea dal.cook separately.
- Chop all veggies and keep aside.heat big vessel add oil to it.once hot add cumin seeds and Fenugreek seeds.soak tamarind in water to make pulp..
- Add all veggies gradually to vessel.mix well and cook for five minutes add turmeric powder, Red chilly powder,sambar masala (contains coariander seeds, Fenugreek seeds,turdal,curry leaves and dry chillies).
- Add water and allow it to cook till veggies becomes soft.add cooked dal and little water to it.taste add tamarind pulp,salt if required add some masala again.give nice boil.
- Now add cooked rice to it mash little.mix well add desi ghee and serve with podi chutney and curd.tastes yum yum 😋😋 definitely try this once you all will love it..
Serve Sambar Rice Recipe along with Elai Vadam Recipe, Mango Pickle, and Carrot and Beans Poriyal Recipe for a complete. Soak the dal and rice in water for half an hour. Remove from the stove and wait for the pressure to release. Open the cooker and mash the rice and dal with the back of a ladle. Steps to make sambar rice recipe: Dry roast the ingredients (except coconut) listed under 'to roast and grind' until golden brown.