Homemade Soft Baked Pretzels. The perfect stage for our own line of flavored salts and sugars. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten.
Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda-hot water solution and place pretzels on baking sheets. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. You can cook Homemade Soft Baked Pretzels using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade Soft Baked Pretzels
- You need of Pretzel Dough:.
- Prepare of lukewarm water.
- It’s of active dry or instant yeast.
- It’s of brown sugar.
- Prepare of unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly.
- You need of salt.
- You need of all purpose flour + more as needed.
- It’s of Coarse salt.
- You need of Baking Soda Bath:.
- It’s of water.
- You need of baking soda.
Stir until the baking soda is dissolved; set aside. (Dipping the pretzel dough in a baking soda solution gives the pretzels a nice golden brown crust.) BAKING SODA/WATER BATH Before baking, the prepared pretzels will be dipped in boiling water with baking soda in it. This gives the color and texture to the exterior of the pretzel. EGG WASH An egg wash is brushed over the pretzels before baking. It is optional but helps the toppings to stick and makes the pretzels pretty and shiny!
Homemade Soft Baked Pretzels step by step
- Pour the water into a large bowl and whisk in the yeast. Let it sit for 1 minute, then whisk in the brown sugar, butter and salt. Switch to a rubber spatula and start to add in 3 cups flour, 1 cup at a time. Then add in 3/4 cup more, a 1/4 cup at a time until it's all incorporated. At this point, if the dough is still sticky, continue to add flour a 1/4 cup at a time until it is no longer sticky. The dough should bounce back after you poke it when it's ready to knead..
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for 3 minutes, then form it into a ball and cover with a clean towel to let it rest for 10 minutes. While it rests, start heating the water and baking soda in a large pot over medium-high heat. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 large baking trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set them aside..
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to divide the dough into 12 even 1/3 cup portions. Roll each portion into a rope, about 20-22 inches long. To form the pretzel shape, first make a U shape with the dough. Then cross the ends together in an X. Twist them once and fold it towards you. Press it lightly onto the bottom of the dough rope. Repeat with all dough portions..
- Once all of your dough is shaped, your water should be boiling. Working one at a time, use a slotted spatula to gently drop each pretzel into the water and boil for 20 seconds. Then lift it out and allow any excess water to drip off. Place it onto the baking tray (6 to a tray) and sprinkle it all over with coarse salt. Repeat the process with each pretzel..
- Bake for 11-15 minutes, or until each pretzel is golden brown. Then let them cool slightly before serving. They are best on the day they're made, but you can store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I would recommend heating the leftover pretzels before serving..
Mix to dissolve and then reduce to a simmer. Mix water and sugar together in a bowl until sugar is dissolved; add yeast. Any more than that and your pretzels will have a metallic taste. Using a slotted spatula, lift the pretzel out of the water and allow as much of the excess water to drip off. Line baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.