Craquelin Cream Puff [Mascarpone Filling]. A crunchy cream puff called choux au craquelin in French. It has a top cookie crust that makes it a little more special compared to regular cream puff. Here it is filled with mascarpone that tastes creamy but not overly sweetened.
Few tips to prevent cream puff from deflating Make sure your oven temperature is correct (check by placing an oven thermometer inside). Freeze until needed (always use frozen). To make the puffs: Bring the milk, water, butter, sugar and salt just to a boil in a medium pan. You can have Craquelin Cream Puff [Mascarpone Filling] using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Craquelin Cream Puff [Mascarpone Filling]
- Prepare of Cookie crust.
- Prepare 42 g (3 tbsp) of unsalted butter, room temperature.
- You need 45 g (1/4 cup) of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 50 g (6 tbsp) of all-purpose flour.
- You need of Choux pastry.
- Prepare 57 g (4 tbsp) of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 120 g (1/2 cup) of water.
- Prepare 65 g (1/2 cup) of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1.5 g (1/4 tsp) of table salt.
- It’s 2 of large eggs.
- Prepare of Mascarpone filling.
- Prepare 180 g (3/4 cup) of cold whipping cream.
- You need 60 g (1/2 cup) of powdered or icing sugar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 120 g (1/2 cup) of mascarpone cheese.
Bake the choux pastry with Craquelin, fill the baked choux buns with Vanilla Cream, then pipe the Mascarpone Whipped Cream on top. Finish by decorating your cream puffs with candied sour cherries and chopped pistachios. That's it, time to amaze your loved ones with your new, homemade creation. How to make Cream Puffs (Choux au Craquelin)?
Craquelin Cream Puff [Mascarpone Filling] step by step
- Cookie crust: Mix butter and sugar until creamy with a hand whisk or spatula. Sieve in the flour. Mix just until combined..
- Place the dough in between 2 large sheets of parchment paper. Roll it with a rolling pin into a thickness of 1-2 mm. Freeze it as is for 20 minutes..
- Choux pastry: Place butter and water into a pot. Cook over medium heat until it boils..
- Remove from heat. Stir in flour and salt to combine. Cook again over medium heat and constantly stir for 1-2 minutes until it becomes a ball. Remove from heat and let it chill to lukewarm. Occasionally stir to expedite the cooling..
- Once cool, gradually add 2 beaten eggs into the dough while mixing (dough will break but eventually come together). Mix until it becomes a smooth thick paste..
- Transfer the dough into a piping bag equipped with a medium-size piping tip. Pipe 12 rounds of dough onto a tray that has been lined with parchment paper. Space them at least 5cm apart..
- Take out the chilled cookie dough. Remove the paper from its top. Using a round cookie cutter that has a larger diameter than the choux pastry, cut-out as many circles. Re-roll the dough and cut out more circles until there are 12 in total. Place 1 cookie dough on top of each pastry dough..
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes, then lower to 350°F (180°C) and bake for another 20-23 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely..
- Mascarpone filling: Using a hand whisk or electric mixer, beat the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla until thickened. Add mascarpone cheese and beat until stiff peak..
- Transfer into a piping bag equipped with a small piping tip. Poke a hole at the bottom of each cream puff with a slightly larger piping tip. Then pipe enough cream into each. Enjoy!.
The topping is called craquelin, a simple dough that's easily put together and is a nifty little trick to gussy up ordinary cream puffs. The dough is softened bits of butter, sugar, and flour, which is frozen then rolled out, then baked on top of each cream puff. The Choux au Craquelin is the perfect vehicle for any filling you like. I filled some with mascarpone whipped cream, and they were amazing! Related Choux au Craquelin (Cream Puff) recipes: Chocolate Choux au Craquelin with Chocolate Hazelnut Whipped Cream Filling; Choux au Craquelin – Cream Puffs with Passionfruit Cream and Passionfruit Whipped.