Vegetarian egg rolls. Lay the egg roll skins on a flat surface and lightly brush edges with water. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook green pepper and beans in oil until tender. Add the cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, herbes de Provence and pepper.
Place cabbage in a microwavable dish and cover. Add carrots, garlic, scallions, ginger, soy sauce, cornstarch and oil; mix well. Arrange egg roll wrappers on a clean, dry surface. You can have Vegetarian egg rolls using 17 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian egg rolls
- It’s of filling.
- Prepare of the wonton wrapper receipe on my profile.
- You need of oil fir frying.
- It’s of oil for frying.
- You need of white wine.
- It’s of garlic.
- You need of red or green chili, minced (omit for mild egg rolls).
- It’s of fresh shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced and chopped.
- Prepare of Chinese cabbage OR regular "white" cabbage, sliced or shredded into thin matchstick-length pieces.
- You need of spring (green) onions, sliced lengthwise into matchstick-length pieces.
- Prepare of eggs (vegans can omit the egg, or substitute 1/4 cup soft tofu).
- Prepare of fresh bean sprouts.
- It’s of STIR-FRY SAUCE.
- It’s of fish sauce OR vegetarian fish sauce (available at Vietnamese food stores), or substitute soy sauce.
- You need of soy sauce.
- It’s of lime juice.
- You need of sugar.
Get your friends or family to help with rolling them up; it's fun to do and will speed up the process. Place the egg rolls on a baking sheet and coat with non-stick spray. Roll them over and spray the other side. If you don't like non-stick spray, you can brush them with vegetable oil.
Vegetarian egg rolls step by step
- Mix all "stir-fry sauce" ingredients together in a cup. Set aside..
- Place a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Swirl 1 Tbsp. oil around the pan, then add garlic and chili. Stir-fry 30 seconds to release the fragrance..
- Add the mushrooms plus 1 Tbsp. wine or cooking wine. Stir-fry 1-2 minutes until mushrooms have softened. Add more wine whenever wok/pan becomes dry..
- Add the cabbage and spring onions, continuing to stir-fry in the same way for another 1-2 minutes, or until cabbage has softened slightly..
- Push ingredients to the side of your wok or frying pan. Break the egg(s) into the space you have made, then quickly stir (like making scrambled eggs). When most of the egg is cooked, mix it up with the other ingredients. Vegans can also add the tofu now..
- Add the bean sprouts and stir-fry sauce. Stir-fry briefly – about 1 minute, allowing the bean sprouts to stay crisp..
- Remove from heat and do a taste-test. If not salty enough, add some more fish sauce (or salt for vegans) to adjust the flavor..
- Place filling into wonton dough and roll shut. Use small amount of water to seal. Dried is better..
- Continue rolling in this way until all the filling has been used up. As you work, place finished rolls on a plate and cover with a damp cloth to keep them from drying out..
- Place 1 cup (or more) oil in a small frying pan over high heat. Oil should be about 1 inch deep. When oil starts to form thin moving lines across the bottom of the pan, turn down heat slightly..
- Dip a corner of one egg roll into the oil. If it begins to sizzle/bubble and cook, the oil is ready. If nothing happens, allow oil to heat up a little longer..
- When oil is ready, carefully slide egg rolls in, or place them in oil with tongs. Allow to cook 1 minute (or until golden brown) then use tongs to turn and cook the other side..
- Place cooked egg rolls on a clean cloth or paper towel to drain..
- Eat warm. Also good reheated so can be prepared in advanced..
Brush all the edges of the wrapper with some water. Bring two corners of the wrapper together, then roll it up like a burrito. The rack ensures that the heat reaches the rolls on all sides for the crispiest exterior possible. Most contain meat in one form or another. Stir in shrimp, soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper.