Sweet potato fruit scones. Serve warm with or without nut butter and jam or marmalade. A potato scone or tattie scone (tottie scone in some parts of Scotland) is a regional variant of the savoury griddle scone which is especially popular in Scotland. Many variations of the recipe exist.
Stir in sweet potato, carrot, yogurt and vanilla just until dough leaves side of bowl. In a large bowl, combine flour, bran, flaxseed, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, mace or nutmeg, brown sugar, dried fruit, and sweet potato. Stir in the yogurt, egg, oil, and orange zest and mix until just combined. You can have Sweet potato fruit scones using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sweet potato fruit scones
- It’s 1 cup of Self-Rising Flour.
- You need 1 of medium sized sweet potato.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Baking powder.
- Prepare 1/4 Cup of salted Margarine.
- You need 2 tablespoon of castor sugar.
- It’s 2/3 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of raisins or sultanas.
With lightly floured hands, knead the dough in the bowl for several minutes. Scones, at least here in the US, are rarely served plain. In a large bowl, combine the flour, bran, flaxseed, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, mace, brown sugar, dried fruit, and sweet potato. Stir in the yogurt, egg, oil, and orange zest and mix just until combined.
Sweet potato fruit scones step by step
- Boil the sweet potato. deskin, mash and let cool a bit in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree celcius.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl, rub in margarine using your fingers.
- Stir in the sugar and sultanas.then add milk a little at a time while mixing to a stiff dough with a fork. Be careful not to overmix as that can make the scones 'tough' (not soft and crumbly as they should be)..
- Add the mashed sweet potato and mix in well till no lumps are felt.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and roll out to about 1/2 inch thick..
- Cut into heart shape or rounds (as the traditional ones)using a cookie cutter.
- Brush with melted butter /margarine on the surface(optional).
- Place on baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes, or until scones are risen and golden.
- Let cool and store airtight.
- Enjoy it with your breakfast, tea/coffee…
Mix flour and salt together in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or a fork until mixture is crumbly. Stir in sugar, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Print Sweet Potato "Scones" The healthier breakfast treat! Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.