Berry Scones. There's an abundance of juicy berries in every bite. As the mixed berry scones bake, the berries release their juices and the bites of dough surrounding the berries are melt-in-your mouth soft. When I made these I thought I was going to have a ton of scones to re-home.
Add the remaining berries and stir until everything is combined. One key to flaky, tender scones is the ingredients you use, but another is the temperature of those ingredients. Using chilled butter—and mixing everything together quickly, before it warms up—helps create those perfect flaky layers. You can cook Berry Scones using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Berry Scones
- You need 2 cups of white flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of sugar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 3 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1/2 cup of frozen unsalted butter.
- It’s 1/2 cup of canned coconut milk.
- It’s 1 of egg.
- It’s 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 1 cup of frozen blueberries.
Using frozen berries helps keep the dough's temperature low. To keep the (frozen) berries from bleeding into the dough, we tossed the berries in confectioners' sugar. To get light and flaky scones, we discovered that treating the butter in two different ways was key. First, we processed half the butt.
Berry Scones step by step
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Grate in the frozen butter. Crumb into the flour mixture using your hands.
- In a separate bowl, mix the coconut milk, egg, and vanilla before adding to the flour mixture and forming a wet dough.
- Mix in frozen berries.
- Gather the dough into a ball and tip onto parchment paper. Press into an 8 inch disc. Use a pastry cutter to divide the dough into 8 equal wedges.
- Brush the wedges with some of the remaining coconut milk. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with the parchment paper. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
These meltingly good scones are rich with blueberries and cream. These meltingly good scones are rich with blueberries and cream. Triple berry scones are buttery, tender scones stuffed with fresh (or frozen!) summer berries, then topped off with a tart lemon glaze, and sprinkled with poppy seeds. I originally posted this recipe for Summer Berry Scones over on The Recipe Critic! Here we are, back at Monday again already.