Pumpkin Scones. Pumpkin-spice scones are the perfect fall brunch pastry. Redolent of ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and finished with a maple glaze, the buttery treats are utterly irresistible. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg spice the dough; diced crystallized ginger and cinnamon chips take their flavor over the top. Allrecipes Only two tablespoons of butter are used in these spiced low-fat scones which use pumpkin puree and eggs to moisten and bind the dough. Only two tablespoons of butter are used in these spiced low-fat scones which use pumpkin puree and eggs to moisten and bind the dough. You can cook Pumpkin Scones using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pumpkin Scones
- You need 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
- You need 1 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of packed dark brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 of large egg.
- It’s 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 5 tbsp of pumpkin purée (canned).
- You need 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon powder).
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 3 tbsp of very cold butter cut in small pieces.
- You need 1/2 cup of cold buttermilk.
- You need as required of All purpose flour for dusting work surface.
- Prepare For of Glaze:.
- You need 2 tbsp of cold milk.
- You need 1 cup of powdered sugar, sifted.
Deliciously spiced classic pumpkin scones are flaky and soft with perfectly crumbly edges. Top with coarse sugar for extra crunch and maple icing for extra decadence! These Pumpkin Scones are soon to be your favorite pumpkin recipe! They are flaky and buttery with the perfect amount of pumpkin flavor.
Pumpkin Scones step by step
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F (180 deg C). Line the baking tray with oven proof parchment paper..
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, egg, vanilla, pumpkin purée, and brown sugar. Whisk till it's a homogeneous mixture..
- In another big bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt..
- Add butter to the flour and rub it into the flour with fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs..
- Now add buttermilk mixture and stir till it's all together. Transfer the dough to flour dusted work surface..
- Knead it lightly 4 times with floured hands and shape in a 9 inch round form with thickness about 3/4 inches..
- Cut the dough in 12 equal wedges. Transfer these wedges to the baking tray..
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden in colour. Once done, transfer to a wire rack to cool before glazing..
- For Glaze, combine sugar and milk. Give it a good whisk. Pour glaze over the scones with the help of spoon and leave them aside to harden..
The perfect cross between a muffin and a biscuit topped with a brown sugar icing, this scone recipe can be enjoyed as a breakfast treat, a snack, or even as dessert! Briefly brush the top of each scone with a bit of buttermilk. Transfer to a wire baking rack to cool. In a small bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients until combined. Sift the flour into a large bowl.