Soft Pretzel Wrapped Cheesy Dogs. Savor a variety of artisanal, hand-made gourmet soft pretzels. Soft Pretzel Wrapped Cheesy Dogs Raven Decatur, Alabama. Starting with one end of a hot dog, wrap dough around hot dog.
In a large saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. About half an inch of hot dog should peek out of each end of the dough wrapper. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a baking tray. You can cook Soft Pretzel Wrapped Cheesy Dogs using 11 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Soft Pretzel Wrapped Cheesy Dogs
- It’s of warm water ( 110 to 115 degree ).
- Prepare of granulated sugar.
- It’s of kosher salt.
- Prepare of active dry yeast.
- It’s of flour. I use bread flour.
- You need of melted butter.
- Prepare of water.
- It’s of baking soda.
- You need of egg, beaten well.
- You need of Pretzel or course kosher salt.
- You need of cheesy hot dogs or smoked sausage.
Brush each pretzel dog with the egg wash. Top the pretzels with your toppings of choice. For sea salt, sprinkle the salt on top. For jalapeño cheddar, top the pretzel with cheddar cheese, then follow with jalapeños.
Soft Pretzel Wrapped Cheesy Dogs instructions
- Combine the 3/4 cup warm water, sugar and kosher salt and mix well. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit about 5 minutes or until mixture starts to look foamy..
- Add the flour and butter. Mix on low speed with dough hook attachment. Can also make in bread machine using dough setting, or knead by hand..
- Mix on medium speed until dough pulls away from sides and is smooth. About 4 to 5 minutes..
- Remove the dough from mixer and place in large oiled bowl. Roll around to cover dough with oil slightly..
- Cover and let rise until double in size. Preheat oven to 450°F..
- line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and brush with a little oil..
- Bring the 10 cups of water to a rolling boil and then add the baking soda. Be careful it will foam up so make sure you use deep pan..
- Take risen dough and divide into 8 equal pieces. With your hands stretch each piece into a long rope. about 12 inches long..
- With hands or rolling pin, roll the ropes flat. To me it looks like big noodles at this point. Starting at one end of hotdog, start rolling dough ropes around hotdogs in a spiral pattern until all the dogs are covered. I like pinching dough around ends to seal..
- Place the pretzels into water/soda mixture one at a time for 30 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon to drain excess water from them and place back on cookie sheet lined with oiled parchment..
- Brush dogs with egg and water mixture and sprinkle with salt to your taste..
- Bake for !0 – 12 minutes or until browned to your liking. I like mine medium browned but it up to you. Just keep an eye out so they don't overcook..
- When done let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Eat alone or with your favorite dipping sauce..
- Can also be made with little smokies or meat of your choice cut into about 2 inch pieces. Making the bite size will produce more and are great for kids and parties..
Meanwhile, wrap each hot dog with dough, pinching ends together tightly (secure with toothpicks if necessary). Line large cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper. Wrap one piece of dough around each hot dog, leaving just a bit of the dog peeking out at the ends. Press the ends of the dough together to hold in place. Remove them from the water using a slotted spoon.