Homemade Soft Pretzels. The perfect stage for our own line of flavored salts and sugars. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten.
Stir until the baking soda is dissolved; set aside. (Dipping the pretzel dough in a baking soda solution gives the pretzels a nice golden brown crust.) Punch the dough to deflate it, then turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. Any more than that and your pretzels will have a metallic taste. Using a slotted spatula, lift the pretzel out of the water and allow as much of the excess water to drip off. You can cook Homemade Soft Pretzels using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Homemade Soft Pretzels
- Prepare of pretzel dough.
- Prepare of quick rise dry yeast.
- You need of warm water.
- It’s of all purpose flour.
- You need of white sugar.
- You need of table salt.
- It’s of water bath.
- You need of boiling water.
- Prepare of baking soda.
- It’s of brown sugar.
- Prepare of egg wash.
- You need of egg.
- Prepare of warm water.
- Prepare of topping options.
- Prepare of kosher salt.
- It’s of garlic powder.
- It’s of cinnamon sugar.
Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda-hot water solution and place pretzels on baking sheets. In a large bowl, combine water and yeast and whisk to combine. Add sugar, butter and salt, and whisk to combine.
Homemade Soft Pretzels instructions
- In a small mixing bowl, add yeast to 1 cup of warm water. Let sit for a moment or two, then stir to dissolve..
- Add sugar, salt, and flour to yeast and water mixture. Stir to combine then as dough starts to come together, knead by hand for about 5-7 minutes..
- Once dough becomes like elastic and only slightly sticky (I added a few pinches of extra flour as kneading) transfer to a larger bowl that has been rubbed down lightly with oil. Cover and let rise until dough has doubled in size, approximately 1 hour..
- After dough has risen, dump it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 8 equal portions. Hand roll each section into a rope about 1 & 1/2 feet long. Now try your best to make that classic pretzel shape! It's best to lay it down, start with a U, and bring the ends in wrapping them around each other in the middle. Once you have all your pretzels laid out, cover them and let them puff up for about 20 minutes..
- Prepare your water bath. You'll need a wide, deep pot. Bring 8 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add brown sugar and baking soda. When you add the baking soda it will foam and nearly double in size. Reduce to simmer..
- Add pretzels to your water bath one at a time to avoid crowding. You'll probably only be able to fit 2 or 3 in at a time. Simmer each side for 30 seconds. Remove from pot, set aside on a greased baking sheet, and repeat with the rest!.
- Now once your pretzels are all boiled, make your egg wash. Brush each pretzel liberally. While you begin this process, preheat your oven to 450°F..
- Top your pretzels however you wish. I stuck with kosher salt, while my fiance made a few with cinnamon sugar and a few with garlic and black pepper..
- Bake for 12 minutes at 450°F or until your desired level of golden brown beauty has been achieved!.
In a small bowl or a liquid measuring cup, dissolve the baking soda in the hot water. Dip the pretzels into the solution and place on a well-greased cookie sheet or baking pan. Remove from the oven and dip the face of the pretzel in melted butter. How to Make Homemade Soft Pretzels: Start by making a simple yeasted dough, and shape it into a ball. Let the yeast work its magic and create these gorgeous bubbles.