Homemade Pretzel Rolls for sandwiches. Our easy pretzel mix makes wonderful sandwich rolls. Divide the dough into six pieces and form them into balls, flattening them slightly so that they're more disk-shaped. Add the remaining cup of warm water along with milk, sugar & melted butter and swirl to dissolve the sugar.
Unlike most yeast rolls, these pretzel sandwich rolls require a bath before baking. Just like when you make soft pretzels, the need to be bathed in a baking soda and water mixture. The baking soda is responsible for the dark brown color they become. You can cook Homemade Pretzel Rolls for sandwiches using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade Pretzel Rolls for sandwiches
- It’s of 1.25oz pkg. active dry yeast.
- Prepare of warm water (120-130 degrees F).
- You need of granulated sugar.
- It’s of all purpose flour, more if needed.
- It’s of salt.
- Prepare of watet.
- You need of baking soda.
- Prepare of course salt.
Baking soda is a browning agent as well as a leavening in baked goods. Brush the rolls lightly with the beaten egg, then sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake the pretzel rolls Use the tip of a sharp knife to score a cross on top of each roll and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Transfer the rolls to a wire rack to cool slightly.
Homemade Pretzel Rolls for sandwiches step by step
- In a large bowl mix yeast, water and sugar til yeast has dissolved. Let stand about 5 min or til bubbly. Add flour gradually until forming a soft ball that is neither sticky nor dry. Add extra flour if needed. Turn out onto clean work surface and knead til elastic and smooth about 3-4 min. Place dough into slightly oiled bowl. Let stand about an hour or til doubles in size..
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment paper..
- Bring water and baking soda to a baking soda to a rolling boil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Punch dough down and turn out onto clean work surface. Separate into 8 even pieces, knead each til elastic and smooth. Shape into rolls..
- Drop rolls one at a time into boiling water for one minute, turning half way thru. Remove rolls using a slotted spoon. Put onto baking sheet. Repeat til all rolls are finished. Sprinkle with course salt. Using a serrated knife cut an X onto the top of each roll. Bake for 12-14 min or til golden brown. Remove from baking sheet and place on a wire rack to cool..
The baking soda does not need to dissolve completely. Dip each bun in the baking soda solution before placing on a baking sheet. Brush each bun with melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt. Roll out each piece to desired length and flatten with rolling pin. To assemble the sandwiches: Slice each roll in half.