OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake). Put the bowl in water to cool down; set aside. Mix roughly cake flour, baking powder, and dried bonito powder; set aside. Grate Japanese yam into a large bowl.
Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a Japanese street food which is very popular among Western visitors who often try it for the first time in Japan. GET THE RECIPE: Make This Japanese Savory Pancake For a Quick + Easy Dinner Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) literally translated into English means "things you like, grilled." It's often called a "Japanese savory pancake," a "cabbage pancake," or a "Japanese pizza." Ingredients and toppings vary depending on region, but regardless of region, okonomiyaki always includes cabbage and batter to hold the other ingredients together. Gently slide the pancake to a serving dish, sauce side facing up. You can have OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake) using 20 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)
- Prepare of thin sliced pork belly.
- It’s of cabbage, about 1/2 heads.
- You need of scallion.
- It’s of red pickled ginger.
- It’s of perilla leaf.
- It’s of eggs.
- Prepare of oil for frying.
- You need of Okonomi-yaki batter.
- Prepare of boiled water.
- You need of Japanese soup stock (dashi), granule type.
- Prepare of (7 oz, 1.6 cups) cake flour.
- Prepare of baking powder.
- It’s of dried bonito powder (optional).
- Prepare of Japanese yam.
- Prepare of Topping (adjust to suit your taste).
- It’s of okonomiyaki sauce (savory pancake sauce, It's kind of similar to barbecue sauce.).
- It’s of mayonnaise.
- Prepare of dried green nori flakes.
- It’s of dried bonito flakes.
- It’s of 1cup=235cc(USA).
It's made with flour, eggs, tempura scraps ( tenkasu ), cabbage, and pork belly slices and topped with a variety of condiments like okonomiyaki sauce. Heat an electric pan, griddle, or skillet and oil lightly. This is one of our favourite (and most cooked) Japanese recipes ever from our blog. That's because when it comes to delicious, healthy and quick recipes, nothing beats Japanese style savoury pancakes!.
OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake) step by step
- ★Recipe video★ (my You Tube channel)→https://youtu.be/u59j7GmSckc.
- 【For Okonomiyaki batter】Put 200 ml (6.8 fl oz) boiled water in a bowl and add Japanese soup stock, stir well. Put the bowl in water to cool down; set aside. Mix roughly cake flour, baking powder, and dried bonito powder; set aside..
- Grate Japanese yam into a large bowl. Pour the prepared stock in it while stirring. Sift dry ingredients over it..
- Mix well until smooth. Let it sit in a fridge for 3 hours or more to bring out the ''umami''(savory taste) of the flour..
- 【Prepare other ingredients. 】Chop cabbage into about 1 cm (0.4'') square. Chop the core of cabbage into fine pieces. Cut stalks scallion into small pieces. (You should wipe off moisture after you wash vegetables, before cutting them.).
- Cut leaves perilla leaf into small pieces. Chop red pickled ginger into fine pieces..
- 【Cook it with a frying pan.】Put one serving of the batter and vegetables in a bowl (1/4 each). Add an egg and mix roughly..
- Heat a frypan on medium-low heat and add a splash of oil for frying. Pour the okonomiyaki mixture into the pan. Use a spatula to form it into a round pancake about 2cm (0.8'') thick..
- Cook it for 3 mins on medium heat. Gently lay about 1/4 of the pork belly slices on top of the pancake. When golden brown on the bottom, flip it and cook the other side..
- Cook it on medium heat for 4-5 mins until golden too or pork belly gets crispy. Please don't push down on the okonomiyaki in the pan to get a fluffy pancake. Flip it again, warm it on low heat and then turn off the heat..
- 【Toppings】Apply okonomiyaki sauce with a spoon or brush, add mayonnaise in zigzagging lines, and sprinkle dried green nori flakes and dried bonito flakes. Please try freshly cooked OKONOMIYAKI!.
- Notes: If the time has passed after putting cabbage into the batter, the water in the cabbage will come out and the batter will become watery. If the batter becomes watery, the cooked okonomiyaki won't get fluffy, so when cooking, it's better to mix the batter and vegetables just before cooking..
The batter is super simple to prepare and cook, with a mouth-watering mix of toppings including Japanese okonomiyaki sauce (similar to bbq sauce) and Kewpie mayonnaise. Okonomiyaki is sometimes nicknamed a 'Japanese pancake' because, like a pancake, it is prepared on a griddle. It is also referred as Japanese Pizza as some versions have cheese included. Okonomiyaki is most often prepared 'Kansai Style,' with the ingredients mixed together and then poured on the grill. It's a traditional Japanese savoury pancake that is sometimes also called Japanese pizza and is a very popular festival (matsuri) street food in Japan.