Caramel Apple Scones. Directions In a small bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk and vanilla; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
Lightly dust a work surface with flour. These caramel apple scones are buttery and moist with crisp crumbly edges and soft flaky centers. Crunchy coarse sugar and salted caramel are the perfect finishing touches! You can have Caramel Apple Scones using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Caramel Apple Scones
- You need of Scones: 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for later.
- You need 1/3 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 stick of plus 2 tbsp cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Prepare 2 of apples (your choice) cored and cut into 1/2- to 3/4 inch cubes.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of caramel cubes.
- Prepare 1 cup of buttermilk.
- It’s of Glaze: 2 Tbsp heavy cream.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of sugar.
- You need 1 Tbsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of melted caramel.
Read through the recipe before beginning. The dry ingredients are fairly predictable: all-purpose and whole-wheat flours (for extra fiber and nutrients!), baking powder, cinnamon (don't skimp!), salt, and brown sugar. I opted for brown sugar instead of granulated because it adds an extra hint of caramel to the dough. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, and then add the brown sugar and milk.
Caramel Apple Scones step by step
- Preheat oven to 350*F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper..
- To make scones: In a big bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon..
- Add butter and use your hands to rub into the flour mixture slightly, still leaving it in chunks. (Thick dime- to quarter-size pieces..
- Gently mix in the apples and caramel. (I prefer my hands).
- Gradually add the buttermilk while very lightly folding the dough with your hands. Mix until just combined, turn out the dough onto a flour-covered surface, and pat into a circle 1 to 1 1/2 inched thick. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and place them a few inches apart on the prepared baking sheet..
- To glaze the scones: Brush the tops of the scones with the melted caramel and cream. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle the cones..
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and stick a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool and a rack..
Stir, then transfer to a bowl. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar, and beat with an electric mixer until it turns creamy. Drizzle the caramel icing onto the warm scones. HOW TO MAKE CARAMEL APPLE SCONES First, you will mix together your flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, and then incorporate your butter. Peel, core, and finely chop the apple.