Pizza Sauce (revised). Ladle sauce in two rows down the length of the pizza. Season the top of the pizza with a pinch of oregano. Look for an amber-colored top and crispy edges.
I changed it since my first sauce. Using Paste only, no sauce, and changed the ingredient quantity. In a small bowl, combine tomato paste, water, Parmesan cheese, garlic, honey, anchovy paste, onion powder, oregano, marjoram, basil, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and salt; mix together, breaking up any clumps of cheese. You can cook Pizza Sauce (revised) using 8 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pizza Sauce (revised)
- You need of water-You DO have a gram scale, don't you? :).
- You need of g, (12 oz) can Tomato Paste.
- It’s of Freeze Dried Basil (2/3 tsp dried).
- You need of Freeze Dried Oregano (2/3 tsp dried).
- It’s of Fennel seed.
- You need of dried crushed Rosemary.
- You need of Kosher Salt.
- It’s of White Sugar.
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sauce starts to boil. The pizza sauce mix (see the box below) for canning has the advantage of being tested and VERY easy to use. It's basically a type of corn starch, onion powder, salt and seasoning.
Pizza Sauce (revised) instructions
- Measure out all ingredients..
- Mix well and pour into 4 containers, about 172g each. I used fresh oyster containers..
- Put into the freezer and thaw for several hours before using..
It doesn't have any preservative to improve the canning, so the advantage is just that it is easier and safe. The ingredients in NY style pizza sauce are as equally important as the ingredients that AREN'T in pizza sauce. Vinegar, lemon juice, thyme, marjoram, any form of alcohol, tomato paste, olive oil – you won't find any self respecting pizzeria owner adding any of these. And it should go without saying that NY style sauce should NEVER EVER be cooked. Nonna + Sneaky Mama = delicious pizza/pasta sauce that's got lots of hidden veggies!