Heavy Cream Scones. These scones couldn't be more basic — or more delicious. Simply stir together flour, sugar, salt, leavening, vanilla, and enough cream to make a cohesive dough. Pat into circles, cut into wedges, chill, bake — and enjoy ultra-tender, warm "cream tea" scones, perfect with butter and fresh preserves.
Eggs make scones richer in flavor but heavier in texture. Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, cream, and milk; stir until a spongy dough has formed. You can cook Heavy Cream Scones using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Heavy Cream Scones
- It’s 180 grams of Cake flour.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Sugar.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Baking powder.
- It’s 1 pinch of Salt.
- You need 1 of Egg.
- It’s 120 ml of Heavy cream.
- It’s 1 of Flour for dusting (bread or cake flour).
Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured surface. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, stir together the cream, egg, and vanilla.
Heavy Cream Scones step by step
- Put all the ingredients from the cake flour to the salt in a bowl. Mix together with a whisk, turning it round and round in the bowl. This is the same as sifting the ingredients together..
- Beat the eggs. Add to the bowl from step 1 with the cream, and fold them in using a rubber spatula. When the dough has more or less come together, take it out onto a work surface that has been generously dusted with flour..
- Note: The dough will be sticky and hard to bring together as shown in the photo, but just take it out onto the work surface as is. Once you take it out, coat your hands with flour as you knead it. The dough will come together eventually!.
- Fold the dough over with a rolling pin several times and bring it together..
- Roll the dough out 2cm thick with a rolling pin, and cut out circles from it. I always use a cup for this..
- Bake in a 190°C oven for 15 to 18 minutes. Cool on a baking rack. The scones will be split on the side and look delicious. They taste great even when piping hot!.
- By the way, baking powder that's just been opened will raise the dough more. Once you've opened the package, store it in the refrigerator..
Place each scone onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (you can separate the scones or bake them close together in the circle shape). Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add butter and toss to coat. Place flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in large bowl or work bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Whisk together or pulse six times.