Cheese scones. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add grated cheese and dried oregano and mix. Cut in the margarine or butter till mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Sift the flour, salt, cayenne pepper and baking powder into a bowl, then sift again to make sure the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Gruyere or extra-sharp aged cheddar will add stronger flavor, while milder cheeses will make a milder scone. For lightly spicy scones, use finely shredded pepper jack cheese. You can cook Cheese scones using 7 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cheese scones
- It’s 225 g of self raising flour.
- Prepare 50 g of marg.
- Prepare 1 tsp of mustard powder.
- Prepare of Pepper.
- You need 110 g of grated vintage cheddar or chopped blue Shropshire.
- You need 1 of egg.
- You need of Just under ¼ pint milk.
Add chopped fresh chives to the flour along with the baking powder and salt. Add minced red onion to the flour mixture. The perfect savoury cheese scone recipe – best eaten warm spread liberally with butter! These scones are so easy to whip up for lunchboxes or picnics.
Cheese scones step by step
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Rub marg into flour until it forms fine breadcrumbs..
- Add mustard powder, pepper and cheese..
- Beat egg in measuring jug and make up to just under ¼ pint with milk..
- Add enough of the egg/milk mix to bind together – not sticky..
- Roll out approx. an inch thick, cut into rounds (2 inch cutter)..
- Place on baking tray, brush tops only with the remaining egg/milk mix..
- Cook for 13 mins, till golden..
- Tap bottom of scone, when cooked they should sound hollow..
In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt. Rub in butter lightly with finger tips until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Cheddar Cheese and Scallion Scones When most people think of scones, they think sweet: classic currant, cranberry-orange, offbeat chocolate chunk. But scones are just as delicious in savory versions, like this moist cheddar cheese and scallion version, perfect with your breakfast scrambled eggs. Cheddar Cheese Scones Scones are the English partner to American biscuits — and these are upscaled for any time enjoyment!