Soft Sponge Cheese Cupcake. Great recipe for Soft Sponge Cheese Cupcake. I really like the fluffiness of this cheese cupcake, or I should say muffin because there is no icing on top. Regardless, it tastes sweet and savory, perfect for breakfast or light snack.
Add a pinch of sea salt, milk and sugar until it dissolves. Cheese after steaming has a milder flavour, which is different than what you will get from baking. These cupcakes have a light cheesy taste. You can have Soft Sponge Cheese Cupcake using 7 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Soft Sponge Cheese Cupcake
- Prepare 68 g of cheddar cheese or any kind, grated.
- It’s 3 of egg whites + 50 g granulated white sugar.
- You need 3 of egg yolks + 42 g granulated white sugar.
- Prepare 30 g of whole milk.
- It’s 30 g of unsalted butter, melted.
- It’s 67 g of cake flour.
- You need 1 g (1/4 tsp) of baking powder.
It could be mistaken for Hong Kong style ma lai gao (马来糕), a type of steamed sponge cake that is on the menu of many dim sum restaurants. The recipe called for sliced cheese. See more ideas about sponge cake, soft cheese, sponge cake recipes. According to Alan from Travelling Foodies, the original Taiwanese old school sponge cake has a smooth almost flawless glossy surface with well-distributed tiny specks of powdered cheese on it.
Soft Sponge Cheese Cupcake instructions
- Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. Then gradually add 50 g granulated white sugar while mixing. Beat until soft peak. Set aside..
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and 42 g granulated white sugar until thickened and lightened in color..
- Add milk and melted butter, then beat just until combined..
- Sift in cake flour and baking powder, then gently fold with a spatula to combine. Do not overmix from here on, because we want to retain the airiness of batter..
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F (conventional oven temp)..
- Add one-third of beaten egg whites into yolk mixture. Again, fold with care to slightly combine. Fold in another one-third. Then add the final one-third along with 50 g of grated cheese. Fold just until combined..
- Divide batter into 6 muffin tray lined with paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until slightly browned on top..
- While they are still warm, spread butter on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese..
It looks irresistibly delicious with its cheese filling oozing out from the sides. This is how Alan describes the taste and texture of the cake. Place the sugar in a medium bowl and add the orange zest. Using a fork, blend the orange zest into the sugar until well distributed. By the way, this sponge cake also concludes my mini egg recipe series.