Pickled red onions. Pickled red onions have been an indispensable ingredient in my kitchen for years. Not only are they a gorgeous, vibrant pink, but they're tangy, sweet, and a little crunchy. Pickled red onions can be used in place of raw red onions in any recipe calling for red onion.
Be sure to store your pickled onions in a glass or ceramic container. Most metals will react with the vinegar. Today, we learn how to make pickled red onions. You can have Pickled red onions using 6 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pickled red onions
- You need 1 of red onion.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar.
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp. of honey.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. of chili flakes.
This is a recipe that is basically a similar version of the pickled red onions we served on the food truck. Pickling transforms raw red onions from pungent and crunchy to irresistibly tangy and crisp. Give your favorite meals a huge burst of flavor, this recipe includes a Mexican version. Thinly sliced red onions pickled in vinegar with spices.
Pickled red onions instructions
- Slice the onion thinly, and place into the bottom of a heat resistant container (e.g. a mason jar)..
- In a saucepan, pour in the water, vinegar, honey, salt and chili flakes, and bring it all up to a simmer..
- Pour the mixture over the onions. Let it sit for 15 minutes, or until it cools down, and then close the container down and store it in a fridge..
All you really need to make pickled red onions is some sliced red onion, vinegar and sugar! Pickle a big batch, put them on everything. There are very few (savory) dishes which aren't improved by a few ribbons of pickled red onions. Pickled red onions are one of our favorite salad toppings here at Delish, so we felt compelled to share this super-simple, super-delicious treat with everyone. Pickled onions are prepared in several ways in Mexico.