Cheese scone. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add grated cheese and dried oregano and mix. Cut in the margarine or butter till mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Gruyere or extra-sharp aged cheddar will add stronger flavor, while milder cheeses will make a milder scone. For lightly spicy scones, use finely shredded pepper jack cheese. Add chopped fresh chives to the flour along with the baking powder and salt. You can cook Cheese scone using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Cheese scone
- Prepare 150 of self raising flour, extra for dusting.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 30 g of cold butter, cut into small cubes.
- You need 40-50 ml of milk, plus 2 tbsp for glazing.
- It’s Pinch of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 80 g of grated cheese.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of sugar.
Add minced red onion to the flour mixture. The perfect savoury cheese scone recipe – best eaten warm spread liberally with butter! These scones are so easy to whip up for lunchboxes or picnics. Slide onto the hot oven tray.
Cheese scone instructions
- Preheat oven to 180c. Sift flour, salt and pepper and baking powder into a mixing bow..
- Add cubes of butter and sugar in the mixing bowl and use your fingertips to combine into breadcrumbs. Add some grated cheese in and rub together gently. Try not to mix too much as you want some air in the scone..
- Make a well in the middle of the mixing bowl. Add some milk in halt at first and start to mix it up from inside. Add more milk and form it into rough dough. You may need more milk or less so need to have your eye judgment on here. It shouldn’t be too wet and look like rough dough..
- Light flour a surface and roll out the dough to about 2 cm thick. Cut out the scones with your prefer size cutter. I use about 8cm cutter..
- Put the scones on baking paper, glaze with some milk and can top it with some cheese. Put in the oven for 15-20 min to bake..
Rub in butter lightly with finger tips until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Cheddar Cheese Scones Scones are the English partner to American biscuits — and these are upscaled for any time enjoyment! While scones often have added fruits (like blueberries or cranberries), I personally prefer a savory addition, like Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and a sprinkle of chives. Cheddar Cheese and Scallion Scones When most people think of scones, they think sweet: classic currant, cranberry-orange, offbeat chocolate chunk. But scones are just as delicious in savory versions, like this moist cheddar cheese and scallion version, perfect with your breakfast scrambled eggs.