Cheese scones. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add grated cheese and dried oregano and mix. Cut in the margarine or butter till mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Sift the flour, salt, cayenne pepper and baking powder into a bowl, then sift again to make sure the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Gruyere or extra-sharp aged cheddar will add stronger flavor, while milder cheeses will make a milder scone. For lightly spicy scones, use finely shredded pepper jack cheese. You can cook Cheese scones using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cheese scones
- You need 225 g of self-raising four.
- It’s of I teaspoon baking powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of mustard powder.
- You need 56 g of cold butter from the fridge.
- It’s Pinches of salt and cayenne pepper.
- You need of 100ml cold milk.
- Prepare 100 g of grated cheddar cheese.
- Prepare of Milk and grated cheese for glaze/topping.
- Prepare of Heat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
Add chopped fresh chives to the flour along with the baking powder and salt. Add minced red onion to the flour mixture. The perfect savoury cheese scone recipe – best eaten warm spread liberally with butter! These scones are so easy to whip up for lunchboxes or picnics.
Cheese scones step by step
- Add mustard, salt and cayenne pepper to the flour and then sift into your mixing bowl. Grate cheese into another bowl and in s third bowl cut butter into cubes.
- Add butter to flour mixture and rub in (rub butter and flour between your fingertips) until the mixture looks like dry breadcrumbs..
- Sprinkle in the cheese and mix gently through the dry mix. Make a well in the centre for the milk..
- Add to milk slowly until you have a soft, but not too sticky dough.
- Roll out to about 2-3cm thick and cut into rounds. I used a medium cutter but a small cup or glass will also work. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper..
- Brush or dab the top of the scones with milk and sprinkle some grated cheese on top..
- Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 mins (mine were cooked after 17 minutes).
- Cool and eat with butter (try them with jam too!).
In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt. Rub in butter lightly with finger tips until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Cheddar Cheese and Scallion Scones When most people think of scones, they think sweet: classic currant, cranberry-orange, offbeat chocolate chunk. But scones are just as delicious in savory versions, like this moist cheddar cheese and scallion version, perfect with your breakfast scrambled eggs. Cheddar Cheese Scones Scones are the English partner to American biscuits — and these are upscaled for any time enjoyment!