Sultana Scones. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter. Stir in the sultanas, sugar and then the milk to form a soft dough. Classic Sultana Scones are so quick and easy, yet always feel like a treat.
Line scone tray with non-stick baking paper. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Add butter and rub in lightly with fingertips. You can have Sultana Scones using 12 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sultana Scones
- It’s 400 gms of self raising flour, keep some for dusting.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 80 gms of cold butter cut into cubed.
- Prepare 3 Tbs of castor sugar.
- You need Handful of raisin and few glacé cherries – chopped.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 175 mls of milk.
- It’s of More milk for glazing alternatively you can use beaten egg.
- It’s of Clotted cream and jam to serve, or serve as they are.
- It’s of Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Prepare 200 C of Pre-heat the oven to.
Add sugar and sultanas and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre of the mixture. Add beaten egg and almost all of the milk. The Handmade Scone: Sultana Scones – Sultana Scones have both Irish and British roots and the word "Sultana" is their term for what we call golden raisins.
Sultana Scones instructions
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl, add salt and baking powder. Give all a good mix.
- Add the butter cubes. Using your finger tips rub the butter into the flour mix until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the sugar in the mixture. And the chopped raisin and cherries.
- Make a well add half of the milk. Using a spoon or a knife fold the milk into the dry mixture..
- Add rest of milk to the flour. Continue to mix all together. The mixture dough will seem a little wet. Dust with a little flour.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface..
- I don't tend to use a rolling pin, I just pat the dough lightly to flatten it to about 1inch thick..
- Using a cookie cutter cut into shape..
- Using a spatula gently place the scones on the prepared tray..
- Glaze the scones with milk using a pastry brush..
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and well risen..
- Enjoy with clotted cream and jam of your choice.
These Sultana Scones are not only speckled with plump golden raisins, they are golden brown and crusty, with a soft interior crumb. They are great as a breakfast treat, or afternoon tea, if you happen to be in the British mode. Combine buttermilk & cream in a jug and set aside. Place self raising flour, sultanas, caster sugar and cinnamon (if using) in a bowl. To the bowl with the flour, add buttermilk and cream mixture.