Homemade Leavened Scones (Chocolate Walnut). Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in the bowl of a mixer. With paddle attachment, mix on low to combine dry ingredients. Add cold cubed butter to dry.
Using your fingers, crumble the butter into the dry mixture until you have a rough crumb, like tiny marbles coated in sand, then add the chocolate and walnuts and stir until mixed. In a large mixing bowl, add in the flour, sugar and baking powder. Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts. You can have Homemade Leavened Scones (Chocolate Walnut) using 10 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Homemade Leavened Scones (Chocolate Walnut)
- It’s 140 grams of Cake Flour.
- Prepare 10 grams of Pure cocoa powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Cinnamon.
- It’s 30 grams of Raw cane sugar.
- It’s 30 grams of ＊Homemade natural yeast starter.
- Prepare 1 of ＊Egg (Medium) If using a large egg, omit the milk.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of ＊Milk.
- You need 40 grams of Salted butter.
- Prepare 30 grams of Walnuts (roasted).
- Prepare 20 grams of Chocolate chips.
Create a hole in the middle of the bowl, pushing the dry ingredients to the sides. Pour the sour cream into the hole and crumble the margarine in with your fingers as well. When making this easy chocolate scones recipe, you can change out the chocolate and walnut for a variety of other flavors. Such as: Double chocolate – Remove the nuts and add a second type of chocolate instead!
Homemade Leavened Scones (Chocolate Walnut) instructions
- Roast the walnuts and crush them into fine pieces. Cut the butter into 1 cm cubes and cool..
- Add the ＊ yeast and 1 tablespoon of milk to a small bowl and mix well. (Please refer to the note in the Helpful Hints.).
- Mix together the powdered ingredients and sift. Put into a large bowl..
- Put in the chilled butter from Step 3. Blend in the butter by using your hands to rub it in. (Do this until the mixture roughly forms little balls).
- Add the yeast mixture from Step 2 into Step 4. Use a scraper etc. to mix by cutting it in, and gather it together..
- Add the walnuts and chocolate chips to Step 5 and stir them in. If the flour doesn't seem to be blending in, adjust with milk..
- The finished dough should be slightly floury and firm. As it's resting, it will become even firmer..
- Cover the ball of dough with plastic wrap, shape into a square, and put in the refrigerator..
- Remove the dough that has been resting from half a day to 3 days, cut into small shapes, and glaze it with milk (unlisted)..
- Bake for 15-18 minutes in a preheated 200℃ oven..
- If all the work is too troublesome, you could also do it in a food processor. Just be careful not to blend it together too much….
- After mixing the powdered ingredients and the sugar, put in the butter..
- After the butter's been cut in and the texture of the combined ingredients becomes rough and pebbly, add the egg and yeast mixture and process until it mixes in. Then add the chocolate and walnuts..
- You can also make these with soy flour..
- Or with black sesame seeds..
- I added raisins and citrus peel to the plain dough..
Cherry chocolate chip – Remove the nuts and add chopped cherries. Chocolate raspberry – Remove the nuts and add chopped raspberries. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. Place scones on the prepared baking sheet. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.