Spanish potato omelette. There's nothing too fancy about this rustic Spanish style omelet, just lots of hearty goodness from crispy fried potatoes and onions. Chopped tomatoes and green onions lend even more flavor and color. A beloved Spanish classic, tortilla española, or potato omelette, is a soul satisfying tapa.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the potatoes. Sauté potatoes and onions in olive oil over medium heat, turning frequently, until golden brown (about three minutes). Strain the potatoes and onion through a colander into a large bowl (set the strained oil aside). You can cook Spanish potato omelette using 5 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spanish potato omelette
- You need of potatoes.
- Prepare of eggs.
- You need of Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain.
- You need of Salt,.
- You need of onion (optional).
You can enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner and you can eat it warm or cold. Spanish Potato Omelette (Spanish Tortilla) Spanish Potato Omelette (Spanish Tortilla) is perfect served hot or cold, and so easy to make! Crispy, fried potatoes and eggs make up this popular Spanish Tortilla recipe, perfect for picnics, parties, bbq's, or your traditional Tapas menu! Gently cooking the potato and onion in ample olive oil develops a silky-smooth texture that helps create the perfect tortilla española.
Spanish potato omelette step by step
- Wash and cut the potatoes into very thin slices..
- Dice the onion (if you don’t like onion, you can skip this step and leave onion out of the recipe altogether)..
- Mix the potatoes and onion together with a bit of salt..
- Heat a good amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain in a pan and, once hot, add the potatoes and onions. Fry them on a high heat for few minutes, then lower the temperature. Stir occasionally so that the potatoes don’t stick. Once the potatoes have taken on a golden-brown colour, remove the pan from the heat and drain the mixture..
- Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. Add the eggs to the potatoes and onion and mix well..
- Heat two small tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain in a pan and add the egg, potato and onion mixture. As before, cook on a high heat for a few minutes, then lower the temperature right down so that the inside of the omelette can cook..
- When the omelette has finished cooking on one side, flip it over using a flat plate so that you can cook the other side..
- Put another two tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain in the pan and then return the omelette to the pan to fry the other side..
- When the omelette is golden brown on both sides, remove it from the heat. Now it's ready to eat! .
- You could serve it with a delicious mayonnaise and a little mustard. If you want to give your omelette an original and tasty touch, try adding a tablespoon of caramelized onion when beating the egg..
- And if you want the middle of your omelette to be creamier, try frying a few thin slices of courgette with the potatoes. You’ll really notice a difference! We recommend you serve this recipe with Fruits of the Forest Pudding which is also made using Olive Oils from Spain..
Flipping the tortilla ensures a creamy, dense center. Tortilla española, one of Spain's most famous and beloved national dishes, is nothing more than egg, potato, and onion cooked in olive oil. Add the slices of potato one at a time to avoid sticking together. Alternate layers of potatoes with layers of onions. Cook slowly over medium heat, turning the potatoes until tender, not brown.