Cheddar and Bacon Scones. Bacon Cheddar Chive Scones We usually think of scones as sweet, not savory. But these rich, tender scones are packed with chunks of cheddar cheese and diced bacon, and accented with fresh chives. Serve them with soup or a salad for a satisfying meal.
The addition of egg gives them a loftier end result as well as more flavor, which is also enhanced by crispy bacon, savory scallions, and sharp cheddar. What's more, shaping the scones is a streamlined process. Rather than cutting and regathering the dough, it's formed into a large round and sliced into wedges. You can have Cheddar and Bacon Scones using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cheddar and Bacon Scones
- You need 2 1/2 cups of flour.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar.
- You need 6 slices of bacon chopped.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 1 1/4 cup of extra sharp cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 8 Tbsp of cold unsalted butter.
- You need 1/2 cup of heavy Cream.
- You need 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped green onions.
- Prepare of Egg wash – one egg beaten with a touch of water.
Bacon cheddar scones are full of crispy bacon, rich cheddar cheese, and fresh herbs like chives that are baked into the perfect savory scone. Enjoy with butter or as a hearty side to soup. When one thinks of scones, usually sweetness or fruit flavors come to mind, like fresh peach scones or blueberry lemon. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add both flours, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder; mix on low speed to combine.
Cheddar and Bacon Scones instructions
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy, use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon on to a plate and allow to cool completely. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper..
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, black pepper and salt, mix just to combine. Add the cold butter and one cup of the cheddar and mix it just until the butter has broken up a bit and is distributed evenly throughout the dry ingredients..
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, cream, add it to the dry mixture and mix until the dough comes together. Stir in the cooked and crispy bacon along with the green onions and make sure they are both evenly distributed..
- Dump it onto a floured board and shape into a circle or a rectangle that’s about 3/4 inch thick. Cut the scones into desired shape and place them on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg wash and remaining cheddar. Bake for 17 to 18 minutes or until golden brown, let them cool completely..
Add butter, a little at a time, followed by salt. Once the butter is frozen, add to the flour mixture and give everything a mix with either a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cheddar, bacon and chives to the flour mixture and give it a quick mix so everything is well coated in the flour. Bacon cheddar scones are wonderful for breakfast, dinner or anytime. Serve them for breakfast with coffee and your favorite jams and jellies or with any meal.