Sweet and sour pork. When You Blend Tangy, Hot-And-Sweet Spices You End Up With The Perfect Pork Seasoning! Try Our "Pork Perfect" Blend Today. Find It In The Spice Aisle Of Your Local Supercenter!
Place the pork in the bowl and toss to cover. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, brown sugar, salt, ginger and pepper. Stir in the water, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and reserved juice until smooth. You can cook Sweet and sour pork using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sweet and sour pork
- You need 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 tbsp of + 1/2 tsp cornstarch.
- It’s 500 g of pork shoulder, deboned and cubed.
- You need 1 of onion, chopped.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of thumb-sized nub ginger, finely chopped.
- Prepare 3 of green onions, chopped.
- You need 1 of green bell pepper.
- It’s 1 of sweet bell pepper (red, orange or yellow).
- It’s 1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar.
- It’s 4 tbsp of ketchup.
- You need 4 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of sweet chili sauce.
- Prepare 1-398 ml of can pineapple chunks, including juice.
Stir pineapple juice mixture; add to skillet. Place the corn flour in a large bowl and toss the marinated pork chunks until liberally coated. Stir pork into batter until well coated. Bring to a boil, and stir in the cooked pork, celery mixture, and the pineapple chunks with juice.
Sweet and sour pork instructions
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, a large pinch of salt and several grinds of black pepper. Add the pork and toss until coated thoroughly. Set aside for 15 minutes..
- Add a good glug of veg oil to a large nonstick pan on high heat. Shake any excess coating off the pork cubes and fry them for 6 to 8 minutes until cooked, dark brown, and crunchy. Remove the cubes to a paper-towel lined plate, and give them a light sprinkle of salt..
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and green onion to the pan. Let fry 1 minute, then add the bell peppers and fry another 2 minutes..
- Turn the pan down to medium. Add the rice vinegar, ketchup, soy, chili sauce, and pineapple juice to the pan and bring to a simmer. Stir in the pineapple chunks. Make a slurry from the remaining cornstarch plus a few tbsp water. Stir the slurry into the sauce and simmer 1 to 2 minutes until thickened. Plate the pork and pour the sauce over, or serve the sauce on the side..
The best ever Sweet and Sour Pork recipe is loaded with tricks the Chinese have been using for centuries: double dredge and double fry for extra crispy, cornflour instead of flour, economical pork used for juiciness, but tenderised with baking soda so you'd swear they're pricey chops, and a sauce that's not sickeningly sweet. While oil is heating, coat each piece of pork in cornstarch. Remove pork and drain off oil from frying pan. Add the onion, carrots, green pepper, garlic and ginger; saute until pork is tender. Sweet and sour pork is a classic Cantonese dish that Americans have fallen in love with, and put our own little spin on.