Black Forest Cake. The best black forest cake recipe I've tried, and I've tried a lot. The cake baked up beautifully, the cherries were perfect, and the whole thing just came together wonderfully. These homemade chocolate cupcakes are filled with black cherry jam and topped with whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and grated chocolate.
Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with milk. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Black Forest Cake is a traditional German dessert made with chocolate sponge cake layers filled with whipped cream and cherries. You can have Black Forest Cake using 18 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Black Forest Cake
- Prepare of Chocolate Genoise.
- Prepare of large eggs.
- Prepare of sugar.
- It’s of kirsch.
- It’s of unsalted butter, melted.
- Prepare of cake flour.
- You need of salt.
- Prepare of cocoa powder.
- Prepare of Cherry Syrup.
- You need of fresh sweet cherries.
- Prepare of kirsch.
- You need of water.
- You need of sugar.
- You need of Frosting.
- It’s of whipping cream.
- Prepare of vanilla extract.
- You need of kirsch.
- Prepare of sugar.
This delicious cake recipe is completely made from scratch and perfect for special occasions! Being born in Germany this cake was always one of my favorite desserts! It is served at every special family occasion and always a hit! Sift the dry cake ingredients together.
Black Forest Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Butter and flour with cocoa powder three 8 inch (20 cm) round cake pans..
- In a bowl, sift the flour, salt and cocoa powder..
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed until the mixture is thick (the batter will fall back into the bowl in a ribbon-like pattern). Beat in the vanilla extract and kirsch..
- Then sift about one-third of the flour mixture over the egg mixture and gently fold in using a rubber spatula or whisk. Sift and fold in another third, and then fold in the rest..
- Take 1 cup of the batter and fold it into the melted butter (to lighten it). Then gently fold it back into the egg batter. Fold in gently until well combine..
- Pour evenly into the three cake pans, smoothing the top. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (cake starts to shrink from sides of pan). Cool on a metal rack before removing from pan..
- Pit and cut into halves most of the cherries, leaving about 10 for decoration on top of the cake..
- Place the water in a small saucepan, along with the sugar, and heat until sugar has dissolved. Add in the pitted cherry. Cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and drain the cherries, reserving the liquid..
- Place the drained cherries in a bowl and toss with 1 tbs Kirsch. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside. Add 1 tbs Kirsch to the syrup. Let it cool..
- In a mixing bowl place the whipping cream, vanilla extract, kirsch and sugar and stir to combine then beat the mixture just until stiff peaks form..
- Assemble Cake: Place one layer cake on a serving plate. Brush the cake layer with cherry syrup. Spread the whipped cream on the moistened genoise. Place the cherries and top with another layer of cake. Brush the second layer with the syrup. Spread the frosting over that layer of cake, cover with cherries and top with the third layer of cake. Brush with syrup and spread the remaining cream over top and sides of cake..
- Decorate with fresh cherries and shaved chocolate. Cover and refrigerate the cake for several hours (or overnight) before serving..
- Enjoy 🍰.
Black forest cake is traditionally finished with chocolate shavings, but I took it a step further and opted for chocolate ganache. It is explained in further detail by. Black Forest Cake was a staple when I was growing up (much to my dismay…read on). You know, the grocery store kind with the nuclear red maraschino cherries? My mom loooooved that cake and always got it for her birthday, and often at other times throughout the year as well.