Scones. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in raisins. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth. Mix the egg and milk in a small bowl, and stir into flour mixture until moistened.
In a separate bowl, combine cream with beaten. Chilling the scones relaxes the gluten in the flour, which makes the scones more tender and allows them to rise higher. It also chills the fat, which will make the scones a bit flakier. You can cook Scones using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Scones
- You need 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour.
- It’s 1/3 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of lemon zest (optional).
- Prepare 8 Tbsp (1 stick) of unsalted butter, frozen.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of currants.
- You need 1/4 cup of walnuts (optional).
- It’s 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of vodka or milk.
- It’s of Egg wash.
- It’s of Turbinado sugar for dusting (optional).
Cherry, Chocolate and Pecan Scones with Strawberry Jam. Gingerbread is a flavor that works with all sorts of delicious holiday baked goods. To glaze these ginger scones, just dip a fork or spoon into the glaze mixture and then drizzle over the tops. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia. Brush scones with remaining heavy cream and for extra crunch, sprinkle with coarse sugar. (You can.
Scones step by step
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper..
- Beat egg in small bowl. Add vodka (or milk) and yogurt. Mix. Set aside..
- Combine dry ingredients and lemon zest in a food processor. Pulse twice..
- Shred frozen butter..
- Add butter to food processor and pulse a few times ti combine..
- Transfer flour and butter mix to a large bowl. Make a depression in the center. Add egg mixture and any dry fruit or nuts. Quickly mix just until dry ingredients are moist. Don’t over mix..
- Make scones with your hands, compressing dough in any shape and size you want..
- Paint scones with egg wash. Sprinkle turbinado sugar, if desired..
- Bake in a conventional oven for 17 minutes..
- Enjoy warm. If desired, let them cool and freeze in a bag..
Scones are not the blobs of cheap bread dough shaped in a triangle and liberally dosed with sugar that Americans think they are (present recipe excluded, of course). And for those who complained about the crumbly dough, ummmmmm, crumbly dough makes crumbly scones. Scones are easy to make, easy to eat, and easy to love—that's what makes them such a standout dish. Here, we've gathered our best scone recipes to enjoy with clotted cream and jam for afternoon tea, healthy twists to enjoy at breakfast, and indulgent glazed options you can enjoy as dessert. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder.